An investigation into a fatal crash involving a Redstar Transport truck has prompted raids on two of the company’s depots by NSW Police.

A B-Double was involved in a crash on the Newell Highway near Dubbo which resulted in a double fatality.

Police last week raided Redstar’s Yenorra and Dubbo depots as part of from the Joint Traffic Task Force’s Operation Astron, comprising of officer from NSW Police Traffic & Highway Patrol with the assistance of Roads and Maritime Inspectors.

A total of 22 defect notices, including 15 for major issues, were issued along with a further 20 infringements for other offences. Two of the 12 speed limiter devices tested were found to be non-compliant and one of the company’s drivers did not have a valid license.

It is understood depots in other states have also been raided by the relevant local authorities.

According to Traffic & Highway Patrol Command assistant commissioner Michael Corboy, the findings of the raids are alarming.

“The operation was in response to a tragic crash last week in which two children died, leaving a family to grieve for the rest of their lives,” he said.

“The operation is about reducing these types of crashes, to ensure the safety of road-users in NSW and across the country. During the operation we have found there to be trucks with unsecure loads and tired drivers.

“We make no apologies for detecting and prosecuting these types of offences which are putting lives at risk,” Corboy added.

Roads and Maritime director of compliance Roger Weeks said it was disappointing the operation revealed trucks with unsecure loads and seven with major defects.

“This is another serious reminder for all parties in the transport supply chain of the risks associated with heavy vehicle transport,” Weeks said.

“Roads and Maritime is responsible for detecting, investigating and prosecuting breaches of the chain of responsibility laws.

“All parties in the road transport supply chain need to take positive steps to prevent mass, load restraint, dimension, and fatigue and speed offences or face fine.”

The investigation into the crash is still underway.